- In September, Dr. Kyle Quinn received a $1.7 million NIH grant to continue would healing research.
- Undergraduate Luis Palafox, a BME major, received a Gilman Scholarship to study abroad in Spain.
- Dr. Jeffrey Wolchok was promoted to Associate Professor.
- A team of biomedical and mechanical engineering students took second place in the 2017 Senior Capstone Design Poster Competition, hosted by the Department of Electrical Engineering. Students Rachel Russell, Katherine Gilbert, Daniela Arauz, Karam Sra, and Sam Stephens worked with Morten Jensen, associate professor of biomedical engineering, to create a biomechanically correct model of the mitral valve chamber.
- Graduating senior Abby Terlouw received an Outstanding Senior award from the Biomedical Engineering Department, and was recognized as a First Ranked Senior Scholar for having achieved a 4.0 grade point average while attending the University of Arkansas.
- Graduating senior Ethan Echols was selected as a Presidential Scholar by the University of Arkansas.
- Winners of the 2017 Departmental faculty awards:
- Outstanding Achievement in Research: Dr. Xianghong Qian
- Outstanding Achievement in Teaching: Dr. Morten Jensen
- Outstanding Achievement in Service: Dr. Jeff Wolchok
- Clinical Assistant Professor Michelle Kim was designated one of the "Most Outstanding Faculty Members" for 2016-17 by the Student Alumni Association and Associated Student Government.
- Recent graduate Alex Khang (UArk '16) was announced as a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow. Alex is currently pursuing a doctorate in biomedical engineering at UT Austin.
- Sophomore Hailey Carter, a biomedical engineering major, was selected as the February Student Leader of the Month at the University of Arkansas.
- In February, Professor Xianghong Qian was honored as a faculty inventor at the University of Arkansas fifth-annual Inventor Appreciation Banquet.
- Ozkizilcik A, Sharma A, Muresanu DF, Lafuente JV, Tian ZR, Patnaik R, Mössler H, Sharma HS. 2017. Timed Release of Cerebrolysin Using Drug-Loaded Titanate Nanospheres Reduces Brain Pathology and Improves Behavioral Functions in Parkinson’s Disease. Molecular Neurobiology. . https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-017-0747-4
- Lafuente JV, Sharma A, Muresanu DF, Ozkizilcik A, Tian ZR, Patnaik R, Sharma HS. 2017. Repeated Forced Swim Exacerbates Methamphetamine-Induced Neurotoxicity: Neuroprotective Effects of Nanowired Delivery of 5-HT3-Receptor Antagonist Ondansetron. Molecular Neurobiology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-017-0744-7
- Sharma A, Muresanu DF, Lafuente JV, Sjöquist PO, Patnaik R, Ryan Tian Z, Ozkizilcik A, Sharma HS. 2017. Cold Environment Exacerbates Brain Pathology and Oxidative Stress Following Traumatic Brain Injuries: Potential Therapeutic Effects of Nanowired Antioxidant Compound H-290/51. Molecular Neurobiology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-017-0740-y
- Feng L, Sharma A, Niu F, Huang Y, Lafuente JV, Muresanu DF, Ozkizilcik A, Tian ZR, Sharma HS. 2017. TiO2- Nanowired Delivery of DL-3-n-butylphthalide (DL-NBP) Attenuates Blood-Brain Barrier Disruption, Brain Edema Formation, and Neuronal Damages Following Concussive Head Injury. Molecular Neurobiology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-017-0746-5
- Sharma HS, Muresanu DF, Lafuente JV, Patnaik R, Tian ZR, Ozkizilcik A, Castellani RJ, Mössler H, Sharma A. 2017. Co-Administration of TiO2 Nanowired Mesenchymal Stem Cells with Cerebrolysin Potentiates Neprilysin Level and Reduces Brain Pathology in Alzheimer's Disease. Molecular Neurobiology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-017-0742-9
- Requejo C, Ruiz-Ortega JA, Cepeda H, Sharma A, Sharma HS, Ozkizilcik A, Tian R Moessler H, Ugedo L, Lafuente JV. 2017. Nanodelivery of Cerebrolysin and Rearing in Enriched Environment Induce Neuroprotective Effects in a Preclinical Rat Model of Parkinson's Disease. Molecular Neurobiology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-017-0741-x
- Stephens SE, Liachenko S, Ingels NB, Wenk JF, Jensen MO. 2017. High resolution imaging of the mitral valve in the natural state with Tesla MRI. PLOS ONE. 12(8): e0184042.
- Kinan Alhallak, Samir V. Jenkins, David E. Lee, Nicholas P. Greene, Kyle P. Quinn, Robert J. Griffin, Ruud P. M. Dings, Narasimhan Rajaram. 2017. Optical imaging of radiation-induced metabolic changes in radiation-sensitive and resistant cancer cells. Journal of Biomedical Optics. 22(6): 060502.
- Perez J, Diaz N, Tandon I, Plate R, Martindale C, Balachandran K. 2017. Elevated Serotonin Interacts with Angiotensin-II to Result in Altered Valve Interstitial Cell Contractility and Remodeling. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. doi: 10.1007/s13239-017-0298-x.
- Pantoja JL, Morgan AE, Grossi EA, Jensen MO, Weinsaft JW, Levine RA, Ge L, Ratcliffe MB. 2017. Undersized Mitral Annuloplasty Increases Strain in the Proximal Lateral Left Ventricular Wall.The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 103(3): 820-827.
- Pierce EL, Easley TF, Drach A, Khalighi AH, Toma M, Jensen MO, Sacks MS, Yoganathan AP. 2017. Ex Vivo Methods for Informing Computational Models of the Mitral Valve.Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 45(2): 496-507.
- Grbic S, Easley TF, Mansi T, Bloodworth CH, Pierce EL, Voigt I, Neumann D, Krebs J, Yuh DD, Jensen MO, Comaniciu D, Yoganathan AP. 2017. Personalized mitral valve closure computation and uncertainty analysis from 3D echocardiography. Medical image analysis. 35: 238-249.
- Amy J. Powless, Roxanna J. Conley, Karan A. Freeman, Timothy J. Muldoon. 2017. Considerations for point-of-care diagnostics: evaluation of acridine orange staining and postprocessing methods for a three-part leukocyte differential test. Journal of Biomedical Optics. 22(3): 035001.
- Sandra P. Prieto, Keith K. Lai, Jonathan A. Laryea, Jason S. Mizell, William C. Mustain, and Timothy J. Muldoon. 2017. Fluorescein as a topical fluorescent contrast agent for quantitative microendoscopic inspection of colorectal epithelium. Biomedical Optics Express. 8(4): 2324-2338.
- Ozkizilcik A., Davidson P., Turgut H., Sharma H.S., Sharma A., Tian Z.R. 2017. "Nanocarriers as CNS Drug Delivery Systems for Enhanced Neuroprotection." In: Sharma H., Muresanu D., Sharma A. (eds) Drug and Gene Delivery to the Central Nervous System for Neuroprotection. Springer, p. 33-55.
- Sharma A, Muresanu DF, Lafuente JV, Ozkizilcik A, Tian ZR, Buzoianu AD, Sharma HS. 2017. "Sleep Deprivation Induced Blood-Brain Barrier Breakdown and Brain Pathology. Neuroprotective Effects of TiO2-Nanowired Delivery of Cerebrolysin and Ondansetron." In: Sharma H., Muresanu D., Sharma A. (eds) Drug and Gene Delivery to the Central Nervous System for Neuroprotection. Springer, p. 127-128.
- Ozkizilcik, A. Sharma, D. F. Muresanu, J. V. Lafuente, R. Tian, R. Patnaik, H. Moessler, H. S. Sharma. "Traumatic brain injury exacerbates Parkinson's disease neuropathology. Neuroprotective effects of co-administration of TiO2 nanowired mesenchymal stem cells and cerebrolysin," Society of Neuroscience (SfN) conference, 2017, Washington, DC.
- Jake D. Jones, Fariah Majid, Hallie Ramser, Kyle P. Quinn, and others: "Non-invasive In Vivo Characterization of Skin Wound Healing using Label-free Multiphoton Microscopy," SPIE Photonics West, 2017, San Francisco, CA.
- From April 2-5, Kyle Quinn and Narasimhan Rajaram, both assistant professors, attended the Optical Society’s annual Biophotonics Congress. Assistant Professor Quinn, a program committee member for the Novel Techniques in Microscopy Meeting, hosted a grant writing workshop. Three of Professor Rajaram’s students also presented at the conference: Daria Semeniak, Mason Harper, and Paola Monterroso Diaz.
- In April, Research Assistant Professor Hanna Jensen spoke at a Girls of Promise conference, which is a conference designed to introduce 8th-grade girls to women role models in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields.
- On February 6, Assistant Professor Timothy Muldoon talked to KUAF Radio about his forthcoming Signature Seminar Honors course, entitled, "Cancer: A Constellation of Disease."